MKPlayer is optimised to play media container files, such as MKV with more than one audio track and several subtitles. You can easily select your preferred audio and subtitle and also change. MKPlayer - MKV & Media Player for PC and Mac. Written by Rocky Sand Studio Ltd. Category: Video Release date: 2020-11-27 Licence: Free Software version: 1.4.2 File size: 56.55 MB. Not to worry though, MKV files can be played on a Mac easily, you just need to download a free application or codec that supports playing the high quality video format. We’ll cover five excellent free MKV video players that will work on the Mac, some are just general movie player apps and some are full-fledged media center applications that. Download a Special Media Player for MKV Files (PC, Mac, Android, iOS) One of the most popular media players capable of reproducing MKV files is VLC Media Player. It’s free and can be used on all popular operating systems: Windows, Mac, iOS, and Android. SEE ALSO: 5 Cool Video Players to Play MKV Files on iPhone & iPad. Top 5 MKV Player for Windows and Mac Top 1. Play MKV Video with Free Blu-Ray Player. When you want to play MKV files on Windows 10, you should make sure the media player support high quality video codecs, Free Blu-Ray Player is the recommended MKV media player that you can play videos, HD videos, DVDs and Blu-ray discs and keep 100% image quality on your computer.
- Mkv Video Player Mac
- Mkv Player Mac Free
- Mkv File Mac
- Mkv Player For Mac
- Free Media Player For Mac Mkv Files
MKV is an open source video format, which is frequently used for videos with high quality. It contains video, audio, photos, subtitles and more other files within one single. How to play MKV media files on Windows and Mac? What are the recommended free MKV file players?
Mkv Video Player Mac
There are some media players support MKV video, which have no the function to support any popular media file like the best MKV media player software. The article shares 10 free best MKV player is able to play MKV file (matroska video), MKA file (matroska video), MKS (subtitles), MK3D (stereoscopic/3D video), 4K MKV and MKV videos at any resolution. Just check out more about the recommended programs and choose a desired one accordingly.
Part 1. Top 5 MKV Player for Windows and Mac
Top 1. Play MKV Video with Free Blu-Ray Player
When you want to play MKV files on Windows 10, you should make sure the media player support high quality video codecs, Free Blu-Ray Player is the recommended MKV media player that you can play videos, HD videos, DVDs and Blu-ray discs and keep 100% image quality on your computer.
- 1. Capable to play most of video formats, including MKV, MP4, AVI, TS, etc.
- 2. Watch the latest Blu-Ray discs/folders/ISO files and DVDs with ease.
- 3. Multiple screen modes with full, half, normal, double to enjoy the movies.
- 4. Capture the favorite snapshot while you watch the MKV video files.
How to Play MKV video with Free Blu-ray Player
Add MKV video into MKV player
Once you download and install the MKV media player, you can launch the program and click the “Open File” button to select the MKV video. You can also click the “File” item at the top of the toolbar to open the drop-down list and then select the “Open File…” option to add MKV file to the program.
Play MKV files and take snapshot
After you add the MKV video into the program, the MKV video player will start to play the MKV videos automatically. You can adjust the playback mode and other tools to enjoy the MKV video. When watching the MKV video, you can capture the favorite video image through the “Snapshot” function.
Adjust the video effect to be perfect
You can adjust the video and audio effect to get the perfect audiovisual effect. Just adjust the audio track, channel and device by opening the 'Audio' drop-down button, and adjust the video track and screen size by opening the 'Video' drop-down button. All the settings are shown on top of the toolbar.
Top 2. Play MKV Video with VLC Media Player
VLC Media Player is a popular MKV player on Windows, Mac, Android and iOS devices. If you are not satisfied with the user interface of the program, you can customize the player skins and other additions with ease. Moreover, the MKV media player also provides lots of advanced features; such as enhance the video and audio quality.
- 1. Built-in audio that delivers high quality audio from audio stations.
- 2. Multiple editing features to crop, geometry, colors, auto-light and more.
- 3. Convert the MKV to other video formats for Android, iPhone and others.
- 1. Do not work with Blu-Ray discs, RM videos and DVDs with DRM protection.
- 2. Difficult to adjust the playing modes and the position of the loaded MKV files.
Top 3. Play MKV Video with KMPlayer
When you have some 3D MKV or 4K MKV files, KMPlayer is a recommended MKV player to enjoy the videos on computer. In additional to playing large MKV files, you can also adjust the video screen and audio with advanced image processing functions, such as noise reduction and super high-speed mode during the MKV playback process.
- 1. Support matrix function and normalizer function for internal sound codec.
- 2. Play all the MKV files, such as 4K, 8K, 60FPS and other HQ contents.
- 3. Optimized for the low end PC through hardware acceleration function.
- 1. Complicated context menu that is difficult to master for the beginners.
- 2. Advertisements and slow playback speed of the free MKV player.
Top 4. Play MKV Video with GOMPlayer
Whether you need to play back videos shot by yourself, or enjoy MKV videos from YouTube and other online streaming sites. GOMPlayer is one of the most mass appealed MKV media players. It is able to capture screenshots, repeat custom segments of any media file, control the playback speed and add video effects.
- 1. Use the search facility to track and download the desired video files.
- 2. Support most of the video formats as well as 360-degree VR videos.
- 3. GOM Remote that control the desktop software from the application.
- 1. It does not work with MKV file subtitle and any audio file that is missing.
- 2. Videos played on a network will lag and be choppy with the free MKV player.
Top 5. Play MKV Video with DivX Plus Player
Mkv Player Mac Free
DivX Plus Player, as its name shows, is the DivX player. Besides, it is another free MKV video player that you can enjoy MKV and AVI videos on the browser. It has MKV features such as subtitles, multiple audio tracks and 5.1-channel AAC audio. Moreover, it provides an array of options to customize the videos according to special requirements with a high quality.
- 1. Watch HD MKV videos in full screen without any change in the quality.
- 2. Convert any video file to either MKV or DivX file formats for your device.
- 3. Support multiple subtitles, audio tracks, smooth FF/RW and more others.
- 1. Associated with video formats without asking for permission beforehand.
- 2. The MKV media player supports MKV, DivX and limited video formats.
Part 2. Play MKV Video with MKV Player for iOS
Top 6. Play MKV Video with MCPlayer for iOS
MCPlayer is a wireless streaming video app for iPhone and iPad. It is an advanced streaming HD video player app that lets you watch your favorite movies, music videos and video files easily. It supports playing a wide range of videos, including AVI, MP4, MKV, TS, M2TS, WMV, VOB, FLV, MOV, M4V, etc. Meanwhile, you can also create your own personal “Watch Later List” with one simple click.Pros
- 1. Easily play, watch and manage videos with Documents section.
- 2. It provides a wide range of subtitles for the video file.
- 3. Compatible with iPTV, Samsung Allshare TV and XBMC.
- 1. There are a lot of limitations to start with.
Top 7. Play MKV Video with Infuse for iOS
Infuse is an elegant video player which provides a beautiful way to watch any videos on your iPhone, iPad and Apple TV. As a powerful video player, you can play standard MP4, M4V, MOV, AVI, MKV, WMV, FLV, MTS, ISO, TS, 3GP and more. Besides, it lets you create playlists of your favorite movies, TV shows and home videos at once.Pros
- 1. Play 4K HDR video with efficient hardware decoding of h.264 and h.265.
- 2. Transfer videos via AirDrop, iTunes, FTP or a plain of web browser.
- 3. Smooth playback with Dolby Digital Plus, DTS and DTS-HD audio.
- 1. Need the in-app subscription for Pro features.
- 2. Cannot edit metadata, thumbnails for home videos.
Part 3. Watch MKV Video with MKV Player for Android
Top 8. Play MKV Video on Android with MX Player
MX Player is a powerful MKV player for Android with Advanced hardware acceleration and support. With MX File Transfer, you can share videos, photos, music and apps instantly. It is the first Android video player that supports multi-core decoding.Pros
- 1. It provides smooth and high-resolution video playback.
- 2. Easily zoom in and out by pinching or swiping across screen.
- 3. The Kids Lock avoid kids making calls or touching other apps.
- 1. It doesn’t support playing AC3 files.
- 2. There are different ads in MX Player app for Android.
Top 9. Play MKV Video on Android with Mobo Player
Mobo Player is a powerful MKV player for Android that lets you watch any video on your Android device. There are various of subtitle formats, including but not limited to the classic SRT format. Mobo Player lets you create playlists and play the entire folder. So you can watch the entire seasons of TV shows on your Android device.Pros
- 1. It supports popular subtitle formats such as SRT, ASS and SAA.
- 2. MoboPlayer supports playing HD videos on your Android.
- 3. Users can control brightness, volume and playback position.
- 1. It provides a bad translation.
- 2. Sometimes the app may get crashed.
Top 10. Play MKV Video on Android with Rock Player
Rock Player 2 is a multimedia player for Android & iOS that you can play all the videos on your mobile device. It supports for a huge variety of formats like AVI, MP4, MOV, WMV, WAV, WMA, MP3, OGG, SWF and more. With the RockShare feature, you can easily share your videos to friends.Pros
- 1. The interface is clean and well-designed.
- 2. It can play 720p, 1080p HD, 2K/4K UltraHD videos.
- 3. Easy playback with the Gesture Control feature.
- 1. Sometimes it crashes and never loads video.
Part 4. FAQs of Playing MKV Video on Computer
1. What is MKV File Format?
MKV is not a compressed format, but a media file of Matroska, which encapsulate a variety of different encoded videos and more than 16 different formats of audio and different language subtitle streams into a Matroska media file. The greatest feature of MKV is able to contain a variety of different types of encoded videos, audio and subtitle streams. MKV is different from DivX and XviD, as well as audio formats such as MP3, OGG. The MKV is only 'combination' and 'package' of these audio and video formats. In other words, MKV is a container format, which common to AVl, VOB, MPEG, and RM format. But they are not open enough and have obsolete structure, which make the birth of the new multimedia package format - MKV. In order to enjoy the MKV files with a high quality, you should choose some MKV media players with excellent quality instead.
2. Can Blu-ray Player play MKV file?
Free Blu-ray Player let you enjoy MKV files with excellent quality. Also, it supports playing MP4, AVI, TS, Blu-ray/DVD discs, folders or ISO files.
3. Can VLC play MKV videos?
VLC Media Player is a popular MKV player on Windows, Mac, iPhone and Android devices. It can recognize almost all video formats, including MKV. Also, you can convert them to popular video formats like MP4.
4. Does MX player play MKV files?
MX Player is a popular MKV player for Android. If you have installed MX player on your Android device, you can play MKV movies without conversion on Android.
When you want to enjoy the MKV files for free, you can try the recommended best MKV media players from the article. Most of the programs support MKV subtitles, MKV audios as well as high quality MKV files. Moreover, you can also find some versatile MKV players that play DVDs and Blu-Ray discs with ease, Free Blu-ray Player is one of the best choices you have to take into consideration. Just feel free to share more information about the your favorite MKV players in the comments.
What do you think of this post?
Rating: 4.7 / 5 (238 Votes)
MKV is not as widespread as MP4. You can see many HD movies and TV shows in MKV format. But not all media players are compatible with MKV videos. Actually, most Windows and Android devices don’t support videos in the MKV format by default. You need to install the related codec to get MKV playback in WMP and other default players. If you want to play MKV videos on your computer successfully, a good MKV player really matters. Here are some highly-recommended MKV video players for Windows and Mac in the market. You can read and compare to find your best MKV player here.
Part 1: Lossless MKV Player for Windows and Mac
The default Windows Media Player 12 and QuickTime Player don’t support MKV format directly. If you want to play MKV files without losing quality, Vidmore Player can be your first choice. You can play popular and rare media formats losslessly within Vidmore Player. The HD image quality and high sound effect can improve your audiovisual experience a lot.
The MKV player for Windows and Mac computer doesn’t take much storage space and computer source. Thus, you can get smooth MKV playback. No lagging, crashing, freezing or not working issues. By the way, you can play any Blu-ray and DVD disc within Vidmore Player seamlessly.
- Play MKV, MOV, AVI, FLV, M4V, etc. 4K UHD and 1080p/720p HD videos smoothly.
- Adjust image size, screen size and video effects during MKV video playback.
- Advanced video and audio decoding technologies for smooth playback.
- Intuitive and user-friendly interface for both Windows and Mac users.
Step 1: Free download Vidmore Player. Launch the MKV file player after the installation. Choose Open File and import your MKV video.
Step 2: After loading, the MKV video will play automatically. You can use the options near the bottom to control the entire playback process. Click the Screenshot icon beside to take a quick snapshot while watching MKV if necessary.
Step 3: You can also use the options from the top toolbar to control the playback settings as well. The Controls, Audio, Video and Tools drop-down lists are available.
Part 2: Top 7 Free MKV Video Players for Windows and Mac
If you want to get a MKV player freeware, you can take a look at the following tools. Just see what you can and cannot get from those free MKV players.
Top 1: VLC Media Player
VLC Media Player is a popular media player on multiplatform. It can be your free MKV player app for iPhone, Android, Windows, Mac and Linux. But sometimes you cannot use VLC to play MKV files under the H.265 codec. During this time, you can install the related VLC codec, or you can convert H.265 to H.264 to play MKV with VLC.
- VLC Media Player is a cross-platform video player free and safe to download.
- Apply video editing effects and change video formats within VLC.
- It is workable to use VLC to download YouTube videos.
- Not all MKV files can be played with VLC Media Player.
- The user interface is not user friendly.
Top 2: KMPlayer
KMPlayer is also a representative free MKV player for Windows. You can play videos in MKV, AVI, FLV, MP4 and MPEG1/2/4 formats. During the MKV playback, you can adjust brightness, saturation and other video settings. Its VCD and DVD playback support is also good to use.
- Support most popular video and audio formats with the internal codecs.
- Control video playback and visualizations.
- The Windows MKV player freeware contains ads.
- Fail to play VP9-enabled MKV files.
Top 3: GOM Player
GOM Player can play not only the common downloaded MKV videos, but also some damaged MKV videos. There is no need to download extra codec or repair pack. Well, just like KMPlayer, this South Korean MKV video player doesn’t support VP9-encodeed MKV videos either. Download mac store apps directly.
Mkv File Mac
- GOM Player is a free video player that can play MKV video with H.264, HEVC and VP8 codecs on Windows.
- Offer the default codec searching and finding function.
- The GOM Player installation package contain bundled software.
- No VP9-encoded MKV video playback support.
Top 4: MPlayerX
It is a free MKV player for Mac. You can get full control of MKV video playback with MPlayerX. You can set gestures to control how your MKV video play in MPlayerX. Moreover, MPlayerX can detect and convert subtitle file into your video automatically.
- The free MKV file player for Mac can be controlled by Apple remote.
- Change frame size, aspect ratio, volume and other playback settings.
- Require high CPU usage.
- MPlayerX crashes more often than other free Mac video players.
Top 5: PotPlayer
PotPlayer has an outstanding GPU hardware decoding. Thus, the video crashing problem is hardly reported by PotPlayer users. Moreover, you can get smooth MKV playback with DXVA, Nvidia CUDA and many technologies.
- Less MKV video lagging, freezing or stuttering issues.
- Use minimum CPU usage on your Mac computer.
- The PotPlayer setup process is not easy.
- PotPlayer advanced settings are designed for advanced and professional users mainly.
Top 6: RealPlayer
RealPlayer offers a free media player version for Windows, iOS and Android. You can play MKV and common video files with RealPlayer. The RealPlayer discover can help you find some celebrities and people. Though RealPlayer commercial versions are not as good as the old versions.
- Play the downloaded MKV videos up to 720p with RealPlayer free.
- Discover and identify celebrities in videos.
- The free RealPlayer version contain ads.
- RealPlayer crashes occasionally. The new RealPlayer update is not as good as the old versions.
Mkv Player For Mac
Top 7: VSeven MKV Player
With the built-in MKV codec, you can use the free MKV Player to play MKV videos on Windows smoothly. Moreover, you can tailor your video in different types. It is also supported to quickly find a file within its built-in search engine.
- Play and manage videos in MKV, AVI, MP4 and common formats.
- Create a playlist with MKV videos in different moods and preferences.
- Outdated interface.
- No advanced video playback features.
Part 3: FAQs of MKV Players
Free Media Player For Mac Mkv Files
Can you play MKV on Windows?
The default Windows MKV player is Windows Media Player. There is no such a demuxer that support the MKV container. To get the MKV playback on Windows, you can download K-Lite or CCCP codecs. As for Windows 10 users, there is a new update in MKV support. However, you still cannot play MKV files on Windows 10 occasionally.
Can you play MKV with QuickTime Player?
No. QuickTime Player doesn’t support the MKV format natively. You need to use a MKV player for Mac to playing MKV files. Or you can install a MKV player extension to get in-browser MKV playback as well. Besides, converting MKV to MOV is also a good solution.
How to play MKV files on iPhone?
The default Apple video players don’t support the MKV video format. You can convert MKV files or use a MKV player app on iPhone. If you insist on the MKV playback on iPad or iPhone, you can use MKPlayer, Infuse, PlayerXtreme Media Player, etc.
Though MKV is not widely supported by default media players on Windows, Mac and iOS devices, you can still use a MKV media player to solve the problem. The above programs are excellent free and paid MVK video players for desktop users. You can choose any tool to play and watch MKV videos on your Windows or Mac computer. If you have no idea which one to choose, just download Vidmore Player and start its free trial. It is worth to have a try.