Later this month Apple is releasing a free upgrade for their Macintosh operating system, macOS 10.13 High Sierra. This is largely a refinement update, with lots of exciting new technologies under the hood that should help your computer run more reliably and more securely. However, Microsoft is ending support for Office 2011 in October and as such is not updating it for compatibility with High Sierra.
- Does Word For Mac 2011 Work With High Sierra
- Will Word 2011 For Mac Work On High Sierra Os
- Will Word 2011 For Mac Work On High Sierra
This means that if you do depend on Microsoft Office you should upgrade to Office 2016, which starts at a one-time payment of $149.99 or $6.99/month for their monthly plan before you upgrade to High Sierra. If you subscribe to Office 365 you should be entitled to the latest version. Just visit your account to download it. If you use Microsoft Office only occasionally or if you don’t often collaborate with other Office users now would be a good time to check out some free alternatives.
Please don’t use this as a reason to not upgrade to High Sierra. Next month Microsoft is stopping all development on the older version of Office, which means no more security updates for Office 2011 either.
Update: Since macOS High Sierra has come out many people are reporting that it works fine, but others are reporting that it is a little glitchy sometimes. You can roll the dice if you want to stick with Office 2011 and just go ahead and upgrade, but be prepared to invest in an Office upgrade if it doesn’t work well.
Not sure what version of Microsoft Office you have? They have changed the icons quite distinctively with each release:
- 'Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook and Lync have not been tested on macOS 10.13 High Sierra, and no formal support for this configuration will be provided,' Microsoft wrote in a support document.
- Office 365 for Mac apps will no longer be supported on macOS 10.13 High Sierra or older starting November 10, 2020. Microsoft announced the change on its Office 365 message center, and users of.
- Microsoft has announced in a support document that Office for Mac 2011 will not be supported under macOS 10.13 High Sierra. It doesn’t go as far as to say the software will not work, but hints at this. Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook and Lync have not been tested on macOS 10.13 High Sierra, and no formal support for this configuration will be provided.
- Microsoft has issued a support note for Office users, saying that Office 2011 for Mac will not be supported if you upgrade to macOS 10.13, which is better known as High Sierra. Given the age of.
Apple announced at WWDC that the next version of macOS would be called High Sierra and would launch in the fall, with developers already allowed to download and give it a try.
In my experience, which is substantial, with issues that arise from installing High Sierra on an “older” mac performance tends to suffer. Not from High Sierra by itself but because of the large environment change happening that causes the large nu.
As far as Microsoft software is concerned, most programs developed to run on macOS Sierra should work just fine on High Sierra as well, as long as they continue to receive support from the company.
But in the case of Office for Mac, Apple customers need to choose the 2016 version, as the previous 2011 edition would no longer be supported, hence won’t work on High Sierra.
Updated Office 2016 running fine on High Sierra
The company explains in an announcement today that with end of support imminent for Office 2011 for Mac, no other updates and security patches would be shipped after October, and this is why the productivity suite won’t work on the new OS either. The final version of High Sierra is expected to launch in the fall as well.
“Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook and Lync have not been tested on macOS 10.13 High Sierra, and no formal support for this configuration will be provided,” Microsoft explains.
Does Word For Mac 2011 Work With High Sierra
“All applications in the Office for Mac 2011 suite are reaching end of support on October 10th, 2017. As a reminder, after that date there will be no new security updates, non-security updates, free or paid assisted support options or technical content updates.”
On the other hand, Microsoft explains that all Office 2016 apps should install and run on High Sierra, though it admits that some issues could be experienced, and this is why feedback needs to be sent to the company as long as the operating system is still in beta.
Will Word 2011 For Mac Work On High Sierra Os
“Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, and OneNote will install and run on 10.13. Not all Office functionality may be available, and you may encounter stability problems where apps unexpectedly quit. During the beta period for macOS 10.13 High Sierra, no formal support is available for this Office configuration,” Microsoft explains.
Will Word 2011 For Mac Work On High Sierra
Office 2016 for Mac version 15.34 and earlier might fail to launch on High Sierra, so an update to the productivity suite could be required for the new Apple operating system.